We’ve spent a lot of time at home in quarantine and, for those of us with dogs, they are certainly reaping the benefits of being around their humans more often. Now that we’ve spent so much time together, the thought of leaving our “fur babies” at home seems unfair.
Why not take your beloved Fifi, Spot, or Waffles with you on your next road trip? Dogs love a good car ride and, with the last year, you and your furry friend could use a change of scenery. Whether you travel in your car and stay in a pet-friendly hotel or you cruise around in a rockin’ RV, check out the 3 best dog-friendly road trips from Phoenix, complete with dog-friendly dining spots and activities.
Albuquerque, NM – 6.5 Hours
Directions to Albuquerque from Phoenix
Take the I-40 east 419 miles to Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico and home to many dog-friendly hotels, restaurants, and attractions. With lots to see and explore, Albuquerque is also home to several dog parks with gorgeous mountain views, ensuring you and your pooch will enjoy the sights during your visit.
Pet-Friendly Restaurants in Albuquerque
Enjoy a meal at one of these pet-friendly restaurants throughout the city:
- The Flying Star Café: A local favorite amongst dog owners, has a “petio” where your dog will be offered treats and their own bowl of water.
- Tia B’s La Waffleria: This “paw-some” establishment specializes in breakfast and brunch, serving up sweet and savory waffles, biscuits, eggs, and more. Your four-legged friend is welcome to join you on the front patio at one of their several pet-friendly tables.
- Steel Bender Brewyard: This pub serves up a variety of dishes and beers to keep you satisfied. Pets are welcome at their pet-friendly outdoor table area, which is covered, and offers heaters for cooler temperatures. The parking lot also features a pet relief area for your pup’s convenience.
Dog-Friendly Activities in Albuquerque
While in Albuquerque, visit the
- ABQ Trolley Co.: Touted as the “best first thing to do in Albuquerque,” board the open-air trolley in Historic Old Town for your 85-minute narrated tour of “Duke City”. Well-behaved and leashed pets are welcome to come along for the ride.
- Bookworks: This independent bookstore often has live readings, poetry workshops, and more. Visit the checkout counter for a special treat for your best furry friend.
- Cottonwood Mall: You and Bailey can shop ‘til you drop at this popular shopping mall with up to 135 stores (many of which allow dogs!). Comfort stations are positioned throughout the mall for your pupper to take a break. A dog park is also located near the North East ‘barking’ lot. It’s right across from the Taco Cabana, so you can enjoy a treat while your pup frolics and participates in the agility course with other dogs.
Kanab, UT – 5.5 Hours
Directions to Kanab from Phoenix
Head north via the I-17 and US-89 N 350 miles to Kanab. Kanab is just north of the Arizona state line and is surrounded by some of the best national parks and natural wonders including Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Bryce Canyon National Park, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
Best Pet-Friendly Hotel in Kanab
Plan to stay at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, the largest animal sanctuary in the nation with over 1,600 displaced animals. Located in Angel Canyon, it’s a paradise for dog and nature lovers alike. While there, you can:
- Enjoy a drive through the canyon, where ancient dwellings and petroglyphs adorn canyon walls.
- Visit the welcome center for a map of all the points of interest at the sanctuary.
- Stay in one of the sanctuary’s cabins with your own pet or borrow one of the pet residents for an animal sleepover.
- Take your new friend out for walks, hikes, or a car ride into town.
- Spend time volunteering to care for the animals or take one of their many workshops and seminars.
Pet-Friendly Restaurants in Kanab
Head into town and visit some of the tastiest pet-friendly restaurants such as:
- The Rocking V Café: This dog-friendly eatery doubles as an art gallery and serves pasta, fish, chicken, and beef dishes. Rocky will enjoy his own water dish, special dog treat, and tons of attention from the wait staff. Or enjoy a slice of wood fired pizza at the
- Peekaboo Canyon Wood Fired Kitchen: Located inside the Flagstone Boutique Inn & Suites, enjoy a slice of wood fired pizza in their pet-friendly outdoor seating area.
- Kanab Creek Bakery: Stop by for breakfast and lunch and enjoy any of their numerous menu options such as omelets, quiches, salads, crepes, and unique sandwiches. Dine alongside your doggie at one of their pet-friendly outdoor tables.
Dog-Friendly Activities in Kanab
Take in all that nature has to offer in Kanab by:
- Dreamland Safari Tours: This pet-friendly outdoor adventure tour company offers thirty different day tours, multi-day tours, and custom options. One to two dogs of any size are permitted on the tour, with approval from all participating tour members.
- Toadstool Hoodoos: Located in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, this trailhead is open year-round, is free to the public, and welcomes leashed pets. Hike the Toadstool Hoodoo Trailhead to marvel at the mushroom-shaped rock formations and views of the Paria River Valley.
Sedona, AZ – 2 Hours
Directions to Sedona from Phoenix
Just two hours north of Phoenix, travel 116 miles up the I-17 to red-rocks-and-pine-dotted Sedona.
Best Pet-Friendly Hotel in Sedona
For luxurious accommodations, bring Fluffy and stay at the L’Auberge de Sedona, where your pet will be provided with dog food, their very own dog bed, and a goodie bag complete with toys and treats in your private cabin.
Pet-Friendly Restaurants in Sedona:
In between hikes and shopping in the Tlaquepaque village, enjoy a meal at:
- Creekside American Bistro: This casual, pet-friendly restaurant welcomes pets at their outdoor patio tables. With views of the gorgeous red rocks, you’ll enjoy a variety of breakfasts, salads, sandwiches, and expansive dinner menu. Molly is sure to enjoy herself with a special dog menu that includes favorites such as chicken jerky, cheddar omelet, steak tartar, and venison stew complete with doggie cookies for dessert. Bone Appetit indeed!
- Hideaway House: Enjoy Italian-style dishes, pet-friendly outdoor seating, and views of the red rocks. The wait staff are sure to spoil Cuddles with his very own bowl of water, treats, and lots of belly rubs.
- SaltRock Southwest Kitchen & Craft Margaritas: Pets are welcome at the outdoor tables of this favorited dog-friendly restaurant, where your furry friend will be treated to their own bowl of water and lots of treats.
Dog-Friendly Activities in Sedona
For an up-close view of Sedona, take your furry friend on one of these rugged adventures:
- Sedona Red Rock Adventure Tours: All tours are dog friendly, and their resident pup, Summit, might just go along for the ride, too. Red Rock Adventure Tours offers special photo tours, winery tours, Grand Canyon excursions, and viewing of local Indian ruin sites.
- A Day in the West Jeep Tours: For a more rugged experience, take a 4×4 trip through the western canyon on the Diamondback Tour or take a more laid back tour of the Mongollon Rim for expansive views of the Coconino National Forest.
- Tuzigoot National Monument: For a nice hike, visit the Tuzigoot National Monument located outside of Clarkdale, Arizona. The monument is an extended compound of stone masonry with several rooms built over a thousand years ago. Explore the many trails that lead you along the Verde River through the Tuzigoot pueblo and Tavasci Marsh. Leashed dogs are welcome to join you on the trails. While you’re there, have your dog become a B.A.R.K. Ranger where Max will get his own fancy badge to take home as a souvenir.
Before you pack up Fido and hit the open road on one of the best dog-friendly road trips from Phoenix, check out our pet safety driving tips, and don’t forget your pre-road-trip oil change! At Sun Devil Auto, our ASE-certified technicians will conduct a multi-point vehicle inspection and rotate your tires free of charge with each oil change to ensure your car is road-trip ready. Schedule your appointment or give us a call today!