St. Mary's Food Bank Holiday Food Drive
Sponsored by Sun Devil Auto
Metropolitan Phoenix – Sun Devil is doing their part to help fight hunger. On December 1, 2005 food donations to St. Mary’s Food Bank can be made at any of the 22 Sun Devil Auto valley locations. The holiday food drive receptacles will be in stores through December 31, 2005.
The Need is Real
- According to the 2004 Census Bureau American Community Survey, 800,027 Arizonans live at or below the federal poverty line.
- Arizona’s poverty rate is higher than the national average – 14.2 percent, or one in every seven people.
- 312,966 Arizona children – one in five – live in poverty.
- Of those Arizonans 65 years and older, 7.5 percent live in poverty.
- 686,378 individuals in Arizona are considered food insecure; they do not know from where their next meal will come.
- The poverty guideline for a family of four is an annual income of 19,350.
- More than 574,000 low-income children in Arizona participate in the National School Lunch Program, which provides free and reduced-price lunches.